Site speed is important, considering your users can quickly get tired of having to wait and will move on. Search engines recognize this user behavior, and use site speed as part of their ranking algorithms. Learn a bit about how you can speed up your website, and why it matters.
Irina Blumenfeld – Improve Your Website Performance
During her talk, Irina covered quite a few tips on improving the speed of your site, including:
- Why speed matters – why should you care about website performance
- How you can measure it – a variety of tools to measure your page load time, page size, and any bottlenecks.
- Ways to improve it – several ways to improve your speed score
- The new HTTP/2 protocol and how it can benefit your business.
Demian Seiler – Plugin TLC
Demian covered best practices to help keep your site fast, secure, and problem free by showing your plugin inventory a bit of TLC.
- Security – Attackers have a special place in their hearts for un-patched systems.
- Performance – Every line of code in a plugin adds to the time it takes to load your page so choose wisely.
- Functionality – New plugins are created daily. What worked best yesterday, may not be the best choice for today.
We also celebrated quite a few January birthdays, including those of organizers David Laietta, Sandy Edwards, and Adam Soucie, and two of our attendees. Free pizza and ice cream cake is enough reason to attend, though there was a ton of great info shared too. Be sure to check our meetup page for any future meetups to attend!